2021 Regents Professors Nomination and Selection Instructions
The title "Regents Professor" is reserved for faculty members with exceptional achievements that have brought them national or international distinction. The title serves as recognition of the highest merit and unusual contributions to the quality of the individual's university.
I. Nomination Instructions
Note: Nominations are to remain confidential during all stages of this process. Nominees will not be notified of their candidacy.
- Those eligible to submit nominations include tenured/tenure-track faculty, professors of practice, and/or research professors.
- Nominations will only be accepted for individuals who are full professors at ASU and have made exceptional contributions as indicated below in section three. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations are made by completing and electronically submitting a nomination form by April 30, 2021, to the Office of the University Provost. Nominations must be completed online.
II. Selection Process – Internal Support
After nominations close, all nominations will be sent to the candidate’s department chair/director and dean for review and additional letters of support. In order for the nomination to be included in the selection process the chair/director and dean should provide the following:
- Nominee’s current curriculum vita
- Eight external references who are top scholars or artist/performers in the nominee’s area of expertise
- Note: Letters should NOT be solicited at this stage and the nominee should NOT be consulted for suggestions on references.
- Letter of support from the director or chair
- Letter of support from the dean
This material must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is due by May 14, 2021.
III. Selection Process – Committee Evaluation
After all supporting documentation has been submitted; the selection committee reviews the submissions and selects a group of semi-finalists. In evaluating the candidate’s research, scholarship, or other creative activity, the committee relies on the nomination material to demonstrate:
- A pioneering contribution
- Distinguished stature in the relevant field such as:
- Recognition by broadly based professional societies
- Publications in first-rank journals
- Critical acclaim by other academics or professionals
- Indications of important contributions in teaching and public service such as:
- Service of a professional nature to the university, academic or professional societies or organizations, the government, or other institutions.
As input into the final recommendation, the committee solicits additional information from the external reviewers whose names were provided by deans or chairs.
After deliberation, the committee sends its findings to the University Provost and President. The President then makes the recommendation on behalf of the university to the Board of Regents. Upon ABOR approval, the class of 2021 Regents Professors are then notified of their selection.