Curriculum Development

Home / Curriculum Development / Curriculum ChangeMaker / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Curriculum ChangeMaker has been replaced by Kuali Curriculum Management. Please go to Career EDGE for required Kuali training materials, and then request Kuali access via this form. See the Curriculum Development webpage for more resources.

If you already have a Kuali CM account, go to MyASU and click on the link under Teaching & Student Support Tools > Curriculum Management (Kuali).

If you have questions regarding access to Kuali, or need historical access to Curriculum ChangeMaker, contact

What is Curriculum ChangeMaker?

Curriculum ChangeMaker replaces the former ACRES (Academic Curriculum Review and Evaluation System) course review and approval process, offering a more intuitive and streamlined electronic process for submitting, reviewing, and approving ASU courses.

How do I get a Curriculum ChangeMaker account?

Curriculum ChangeMaker has been replaced by Kuali Curriculum Management. Please go to Career EDGE for required Kuali training materials, and then request Kuali access via this form. See the Curriculum Development webpage for more resources.

If you already have a Kuali CM account, go to MyASU and click on the link under Teaching & Student Support Tools > Curriculum Management (Kuali).

If you have questions regarding access to Kuali, or need historical access to Curriculum ChangeMaker, contact

Am I required to attach impact statements?

The university’s expectation is that, before the establishment of a new course or any modification to an existing course is implemented, any overlap in course content and/or similarity of subject matter be considered and supported by all academic units involved.

When appropriate, the university will request review from academic units that may be impacted. In order to expedite the university review process, academic units are encouraged to include any documentation indicating that relevant departments have been contacted and agree on the proposed content.

How do I know which number to use for my new course?

New course numbers are determined by each department; often there is a clustered sequence for a curriculum topic. Permanent course numbers must be different than omnibus course numbers. In addition, permanent numbers must be inactivate for at least four years before reusing them.

How do I attach a file?

To include an attachment, click the "Add Attachment" button at the bottom of this screen. A new screen appears. Click the "Browse…" button, find, and select the file on your hard drive. The file will appear in the "File Upload" box. Select the file type. Choices include:

  • MS Word - Windows Only
  • MS Excel - Windows Only
  • Rich Text - Any Platform
  • Plain Text - Any Platform
  • HTML - Any Platform
  • PDF - Any Platform (Favored option.)

Type in a file name or description of the file (e.g., "PFX 123 Sample Syllabus").

The attached file(s) will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Why do I need to provide a grading policy in my sample syllabus?

ASU’s grading policy outlines the value of each grade (A = 4.00, B = 3.00, and so on) that is used when calculating the GPA. Because the syllabus is considered as the official contract between a student and a professor, we ask that a specific breakdown of the course’s grade policies is included (e.g., how many points or what percentage constitutes each letter grade). This detail helps provide clarity and avoid grade disputes. See sample grading rubrics used by other academic units in the past.

How do I find a plan code?

From the ASU Home page, click on Degree Programs under "academics." The Academic Programs page displays. You can click to search undergraduate or graduate programs, minors, and certificates.


ChangeMaker Degree Search

Once you've selected a specific program, the plan code information details display in the upper left portion. For example, for Applied Mathematics, BS, the plan code is ASMATBS.


ChangeMaker Plan Code

How do I know which boxes to check for the grade I want?

For UGRD and GRAD courses (ordered by frequency of use in the catalog)

  • A-E+Audit (orA-E +Audit+Pass/Fail) = A-E, EN, I, Y and audit.
    • The majority of courses fall into this category.
    • Displays in Web catalog as Student Option
    • Displays in PeopleSoft (PS) as description Stdnt Opt or code OPT
  • A-E only = A-E, EN, I and Y
    • Displays in Web catalog as Standard Grading
    • Displays in PeopleSoft (PS) as description Std Grading or code GNA
  • Pass/Fail only = Y, E, EN and I
    • Displays in Web catalog as Y Grading Basis
    • Displays in PeopleSoft (PS) as description YGrdBasis or code YGB
  • Audit only = Students can only audit this course; no grade.
    • Rarely used in the catalog
    • Displays in Web catalog as Audit
    • Displays in PeopleSoft (PS) as description Audit or code AUD
  • Audit +Pass/Fail = Y and audit
    • Not currently used in the catalog
    • Would display in Web catalog as Student Option-P/F or Audit
    • Would display in PeopleSoft (PS) as description P/F St Opt or code OP2

For more information regarding grade descriptions, please visit the Grades and Grading policies page at

How do I change an omnibus course to a permanent course?

First, omnibus numbers (e.g., 194, 294), as defined in the "Classification of Courses" section of the catalog, are reserved numbers and do not change.

Second, if an omnibus course topic "changes" from an omnibus number to a permanent number, it is in fact a new course request. New courses must either have been offered at least twice as an omnibus course topic or be required for a degree program. To request a permanent new course number, click on the Create New Forms link from your home page and then click on the New Course Form link. Step-by-step instructions can be found at New Course Form.

How do I delete an entire course?

  • Use the Modify Course Form.
  • Select "Delete ENTIRE course" under the drop-down options in the "Course/campus offerings" field.
  • If the course is offered on more than one campus, impact statements must be attachment showing consent to delete the entire course.

I want to select an effective date that isn't an option for me.

The drop-down choices reflect the next available effective term at any given time. After the deadline for final approval, the earliest effective date is next displayed as an option. The published deadlines indicate the interrelationship among key events, including General Studies, Major maps, fees, and the Schedule. Changes made after deadlines can adversely affect a student's ability to register or even graduate.

Note that new course requests must be reviewed by the University Senate. View the Curriculum Workflow document for scheduled Senate meetings.

I'm changing some omnibus courses with fees. Do I need to submit new fee forms?

First, if a course "changes" from an omnibus number to a permanent number, it is in fact a new course request. Any change in course subject and/or number or any deleted course needs an accompanying fee form if a fee is currently attached, will be attached, or will be deleted. Any new course that will carry a fee needs an accompanying Curriculum ChangeMaker Class Fee Form. A fee form should also be used if the amount of the fee changes. If a fee exists, please complete the "Changed course information" section of the Class Fee Form.

Is it true faculty members may teach any active course without consultation or collaboration with the unit that currently offers the course?

No. Faculty members may only teach those courses currently active within their own academic unit and with approval from the chair, director or dean. In order for an academic unit to add a course to its course bank, a Modify Course Form requesting a Course Campus Offering must be processed via Curriculum ChangeMaker. Course Campus Offering requests must be accompanied by statements of support from all academic units that currently offer the course and must complete the necessary reviews and approvals. For more information, go to Modify Course > Step 1 > Offered by.

Is it true that new courses that are taught by ASU Online are processed and approved via a different route than iCourses or face-to-face courses?

No. ASU Online does not offer classes. ASU Online, in-person and iCourses are all formats by which academic units offer approved ASU courses. All ASU course proposals, regardless of delivery method, originate from an academic unit and must follow the university’s review and approval process. This process includes curriculum committee review(s) at the department/school and/or college/school level, University review and finally Senate review. Once course proposals receive the necessary approvals and are implemented, courses may be scheduled as ASU campus courses (in-person/iCourses) or through ASU online.

What is a course offering, how do I create one, and how do I customize my offering?

A “Course Campus Offering” is a single course offered on one or more campuses by one or more academic units. Every course in PeopleSoft is identified by a course ID and is associated with the course catalog data. Under each course ID, there is one or more course offerings associated with different academic groups for the purpose of scheduling classes. When classes are scheduled, each class is associated with a single offering.

The following rules apply to course campus offerings:

  1. Course campus offerings must match in
    • Subject
    • Number
    • Title
    • Description
    • Enrollment requirements
    • Units
    • Grading basis
    • Repeat for credit rules
    • Topics (if any)
    • Course components
  2. Course campus offerings will inherit the following attributes from the existing course campus offering(s) and must adhere to established requirements:
  3. Fees. A separate request must be submitted for each course campus offering; class fees are specific to college, campus, and instruction mode.

To add or remove a course campus offering, use the Modify Course Form in Curriculum ChangeMaker.

What's the difference between a crosslisted course and concurrent enrollment?

Crosslistings and concurrent enrollment are not the same. Crosslistings occur at the course level, not section or class level. Crosslistings are attached at the course level as coded equivalencies in the PeopleSoft Course Catalog and remain in effect until they are officially changed. Concurrent enrollment is a function of scheduling and is only effective each term it is determined.

Crosslisted courses must match in every way except for subject (and possibly number). If the numbers don't match, they must be at the same level (lower- to lower-division or upper- to upper-division).

An official Curriculum ChangeMaker Modify Course Form must be submitted to add, change, or delete a crosslisting. Impact statements showing there are no objections must be attached from all crosslisted department(s). Any change to one crosslisted course is editorially reflected in all crosslisted courses. If the other course does not yet exist, the approval of the submitted Curriculum ChangeMaker request will create the crosslisted course.

Courses that have concurrent enrollment (also called combining courses) also meet at the same time and place, but they are not identical. They can be within the same subject (e.g., an undergraduate- and graduate-level course, with the graduate course having an additional requirement), as well as with an omnibus topic (e.g., POS 316 could have concurrent enrollment with a course topic in BIS 394).

An official Curriculum ChangeMaker New Course Form also needs to be submitted if a course to be combined does not yet exist. The syllabus should reflect some type of distinction (usually in the assignments section) for the work required at, for example, the undergraduate and graduate levels.

Why can't changes be made to the form?

Form fields can be edited only under two conditions.

  1. The form is created (saved or not yet saved) and not yet submitted. Once submitted, the form is no longer editable as it travels through the review process.
  2. The form is marked as needing revisions by a Reviewer Leader at any review level. This action makes the form editable for the form originator only and edits can be made until the “YES” link is clicked indicating all edits are made.
ChangeMaker Needs Revisions

If you are suggesting edits be made to a form, you need to submit a review and select “Needs Revision” from the “Approved” field. If your requested changes require further department and/or college review, you will want to select the appropriate review level in the “Route To” field. If no further internal reviews are needed, you can reselect your review level so that when the form is resubmitted (the originator makes your changes and clicks the “YES” link), you can proof their work and then submit your review to move the form forward to the next level.

As a Reviewer Leader, you want to submit your comments in your “needs revisions” review so that it is clear to the originator (and anyone in the review process) what you wish changed, and also so that when the form is resubmitted, you can easily confirm that the requested changes are made. All comments should be kept in the form and not in separate email exchanges. Note also that submitting a comment (rather than attaching a comment during a review) does not change the status of the form. Only the Reviewer Leader while submitting a review of "needs revisions" can change the status of the form, making it editable for the form originator.