I. Nomination Instructions
Note: Nominations are to remain confidential during all stages of this process. Nominees will not be notified of their candidacy.
- Nominations can be submitted by all faculty (career track and tenured/tenure track).
- Nominations will only be accepted for individuals who are full professors at ASU and have made exceptional contributions as indicated below in section three. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations are made by completing and electronically submitting a nomination form by Tuesday, May 2, 2023, to the Office of the University Provost. Nominations must be completed online by submitting the 2023 Nomination form.
II. Selection Process, Part 1 – Internal Support
After nominations close, all nominations will be sent to the candidate’s department chair/director and dean for review and additional letters of support. In order for the nomination to be included in the selection process the chair/director and dean should provide the following and submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is due by Tuesday, May 16, 2023:
- Nominee’s current curriculum vita
- Eight external references who are top scholars or artist/performers in the nominee’s area of expertise
- Note: Letters should NOT be solicited at this stage and the nominee should NOT be consulted for suggestions on references.
- Letter of support from the director or chair
- Letter of support from the dean
III. Selection Process, Part 2 – Committee Evaluation
After all supporting documentation has been submitted; the selection committee reviews the submissions. In evaluating the candidate’s research, scholarship, or other creative activity, the committee relies on the nomination material to demonstrate:
- A pioneering contribution
- Distinguished stature in the relevant field such as:
- Recognition by broadly based professional societies
- Publications in first-rank journals
- Critical acclaim by other academics or professionals
- Indications of important contributions in teaching and public service such as:
- Service of a professional nature to the university, academic or professional societies or organizations, the government, or other institutions.
As input into the final recommendation, the committee solicits additional information from the external reviewers whose names were provided by deans or chairs.
After deliberation, the committee sends its findings to the University Provost and President. The President then makes the recommendation on behalf of the university to the Board of Regents. Upon ABOR approval, the class of 2023 Regents Professors are then notified of their selection.