P22: Fixed-Term Faculty Promotion Requirements for Academic Unit Bylaws
Effective Date: July 11, 2014
Revision Date: October 9, 2019
Arizona State University requires academic unit and college bylaws to include information regarding fixed-term faculty member promotions. If an academic unit has fixed-term faculty members, no promotions for fixed-term faculty members will be considered from a unit that does not have promotion requirements approved by the university provost. The promotion criteria must be included as part of the promotion package.
Some fixed-term (year-to-year and multiple-year) faculty members are eligible for promotion.
Written policies/procedures or bylaws, approved by the faculty, reviewed by the dean and approved by the provost of the university, should include:
- unit mission statement and objectives, i.e., the context within which the faculty member’s contributions can be measured
- definition of the categories of the faculty member’s work to be evaluated, i.e., position effectiveness; professional contributions; and institutional, professional, and community service
- criteria for the evaluation of work
- explanation of how cases of joint and/or affiliated appointments will be evaluated, e.g., inclusion of evaluative comments from affiliated departments
- types of evidence/file contents to be submitted by candidates under review (see P6, “Fixed-Term Faculty Promotion Process Guide”)
- compliance with university and Board of Regents policies and procedures