Immigration and Travel Resources

For international students, faculty and staff

Arizona State University is and will continue to be a welcoming home for international students, faculty and staff. Our charter states that we measure ourselves not by whom we exclude, but by whom we include. We believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds make us stronger and better.

As recent executive orders may affect our international community, undocumented students and their families, we encourage anyone with questions or concerns to use this webpage as an online destination for university resources, helpful links, and official statements made by ASU leadership.

Please check back to this website as we will be updating it regularly with additional resources.

This is who we are - Culture at ASU


Resources at ASU:

International Center

Works to facilitate the success of our more than 10,000 international students and scholars during their time in the United States.

International Students

Admissions information for prospective and newly-admitted international students.

Student International Travel

Provides valuable resources for all students traveling outside the United States on an ASU-related activity. Registered travelers have access to pre-trip travel intelligence, international insurance and emergency support while abroad: Explore the Student International Travel Registration System

U.S. resources

Department of Homeland Security: Study in the States
Offers free government resources that explain the rules and regulations governing the international student process in the United States.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Working in the US
Provides information for students, exchange visitors, temporary and permanent workers.

Department of State: U.S. Visa
Up-to-date information on traveling to the United States.

Additional resources

Immigration: Know Your Rights

Use this document to understand your immigration rights.

Frequently asked questions

Is your question not answered below? Current students, current and prospective scholars should contact Holly Singh, senior director of the International Students and Scholars Center. He can be reached at or by phone at 480-727-4776. Prospective students should contact contact César Flores, associate director of International Admissions, at or 480-965-1277.

Important information regarding DACA students and the recent rescission of DACA can be found at DREAMzone.

General questions

What advice do you have if I am considering traveling overseas?

Please visit the Travel Outside the U.S. web page for advice on overseas travel.

We are recommending that students/scholars from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen do not travel outside of the U.S. Please see an adviser at the International Students and Scholars Center for further info.

If you are an international student/scholar abroad and not able to return, your point of contact is also the International Students and Scholars Center. 

I am already traveling overseas, what do I need to know about the ban on electronic devices upon my return to the United States?

Effective March 21, 2017, the U.S. government has issued a ban on electronic devices, other than smart phones, being carried on aircrafts from various airlines that originate from the Middle East and North African countries. For more information on the restrictions and affected countries, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website. Upon returning to the United States from these locations, you will have to pack your device(s) in your checked baggage.

It is recommended that you do not travel with ASU owned property unless it is essential to your duties. However, if you do travel with ASU owned property, please ensure to encrypt all your devices. Upon returning to the United States, please pack your encrypted device(s) in your checked baggage and ensure that internet cards, USB drives, etc. are not packed in the checked baggage with your encrypted devices.

For more information, please visit the data encryption and traveling with mobile devices pages.

If you have any questions, contact the ASU Information Security Office at or call 1-855-278-5080.

What advice do you have if I am traveling within the United States?

The executive order does not affect current students’/scholars' ability to travel within the United States.

Should I carry paperwork and/or identification with me at all times?

We recommend that you do. If you are looking for specific advice on what documents to carry, please contact or visit the International Students and Scholars Center. Additionally, here is information on how to keep your documents valid

Where should I go if I feel I require legal advice and guidance?

The Arizona Legal Center offers free legal consultations, advise, and guidance on immigration issues through its Immigration Services Project, which is available to anyone who has questions about immigration matters, including visas, green cards, asylum, deportation, and related matters. They are partnering with ASU's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law to support ASU Students. Their volunteer attorneys specialize in immigration issues and are available several times throughout each month to provide advice and consultation; they also offer referrals to qualified attorneys who provide full scope and limited scope representation on the specific matters identified through the consultation process if needed. The Immigration Services Project is open to the public on a first-come-first-served basis as follows:

  • The second Wednesday of every month from 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m., for general immigration matters
  • Every Thursday morning from 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., for general immigration and DACA matters

Appointments for specific matters can also be made by contacting the Arizona Legal Center directly.

Phone Number: 480-727-0127


What should I do if I am returning to the U.S. and not allowed re-entry?

If you are an international student/scholar abroad and not able to return, please email the International Students and Scholars Center at or call: 480-727-4776 .

International students

Should international students who are graduating postpone their graduation?

By federal regulations, if a student has fulfilled all course requirements they cannot extend their stay, even if the I-20 is valid after their tentative graduation date.  However, depending on the discipline, students have 12 or 36 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students should consult their academic advisors before making any changes to their enrollment.

If I am not able to graduate before my I-20 or DS-2019 is set to expire whom should I contact?

Please work with an International Student Adviser at the International Students and Scholars Center. More information, visit the extending your I-20 or DS-2019 page.

Can international students working on their doctorate degree complete their dissertation and/or defense from their home country due to these circumstances?

Completion of your degree program is something that a student must work out with their academic department. The International Students and Scholars Center can help with understanding the immigration regulations with returning home but cannot set academic policy.

What is the timeline to apply for OPT once a student completes a degree program?

Applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a 90-day process and students should plan ahead. For more information on applying for your OPT benefit, please visit the International Students and Scholars Center website.

What if you are a resident of one country and a citizen of one of the countries listed in the executive order?

Those who are dual nationals will not be affected if they travel using the passport of the country not listed on the executive order. Others that will not be affected are those that are residents or landed immigrants of Canada in addition to being a citizen of one of the countries listed in the executive order.

If someone was in the country when the new executive order took effect on March 16th and their visa expires, can they leave, apply for a new visa and come back in the USA with a new visa?

It is our understanding that students who were in the United States at the time the first executive order went into effect are not implicated in the new executive order. Therefore, you should be able to leave the U.S., apply for a new visa, and return to the U.S.

Additionally, the March 16 executive order states that the new executive order does not apply to those who were already in the U.S. on January 27th when the first executive order was issued.

What has changed after the executive order for students applying for H1B?

Nothing has changed in regards to the H1B program from this executive order.  

How do I know if the company or organization that I am applying for an H1B visa with falls under the exemption category?

The human resources department of that company should be able to know what their classification is and be able to provide you with that information.

What will happen to the diversity lottery green card winners who are currently residing outside of the USA?

Currently, the diversity lottery green card program is not being expedited. We strongly encourage you to contact Arizona members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Arizona’s U.S. Senators to advocate on your behalf.

Can family members of affected students receive legal service from U.S. sources while residing outside of the U.S.?

Please visit or encourage your family members to visit the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) website, where you can find resources and international locations.

Can we have access to presentations given to students at the on-campus forums?

These presentations and materials are located in the Previous communications section further down this page.